Originally Posted By: anthropic
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
Today I dressed out 25 female BG (many thanks to ewest for his insight on sex identification). Every one was female and row laden in different stages.

As I was cleaning them, I found it exciting to find nearly every one of them had Black Soldier Fly Larva in their stomachs. So apparently they're letting them sink before eating them, because I seldom see them feed on the surface.

13 of them found their way into some hot oil with fries, hush puppies and cole slaw. They weren't the biggest BG by any means, but they sure did taste good.

Sounds great! Smart to not harvest the largest BG, too.

Since my pond is small, I know I cant have a lot of big bass, so I'm managing it for bigger BG. I caught several bulls in the 7-8" range while collecting these and returned them all to the pond. Even hooked one twice. My line broke the first time and the jig was swallowed. Noticed a piece of line when I caught him and cut it off before returning him. Didn't seem to phase him having a jig in his throat.

I returned every GSF as well, since they are helping to keep fry numbers in check. Even caught a couple of 11" BH on the BSFL. Was hoping to stumble on a RES....but no such luck...yet!

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!