From what I've read, Snipe, 1 square bale of straw per surface acre is sufficient. Some just bust up the bales and let it sink but I think that just contributes to adding muck on the bottom. If you leave the bales intact, deployed around the shoreline shallows, then you have to consider how to remove a waterlogged bale when it's time.

The recommended process is to build some kind of container that will allow water to flow thru, and stuff them full with some kind of flotation. That's what I did last year with chicken wire and saw good results. Whether it was the straw, or just coincidence that my pond cleared up, your guess is as good as mine. I do know, there are a lot of farmers around here who use straw.

This year I'm using milk crates (2 lashed together open end to open end) with a piece of styrofoam to float it and anchored with a railroad spike.

I deployed two baskets this morning with some wheat straw I had on hand. It's already wet and starting to deteriorate so hopefully the process will be escalated a bit.

It should also be said that Barley straw is recommended over everything else, but availability is often an issue. Wheat straw will work and takes a bit longer to see results, but it is more readily available, at least here, anyway.

Also, this doesn't kill algae, but the natural decay produces hydrogen peroxide which prevents algae from growing. If you already have an algae bloom, like I do, it will have to run its course and die naturally, but in conjunction with aeration, it should greatly diminish future blooms.

Sorry for the novel.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 04/14/19 08:35 AM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!