Originally Posted By: Vortex 4
Emergent and shoreline plants are starting to show up from wherever they come from. Some I started with plantings last year (bull rush, pickerelweed and water iris). I have a couple of new kinds of rush and some pickerelweed coming up in the lawn. I dug them up and relocated them to places along the shore or in shallow water. My water iris' are popping impressive blooms.

We transplanted some wild Louisiana Iris last year and again this spring. Last year's plants have been flowering for nearly a month now and are putting on seed pods. So my Iris are going to be spreading. I still have a patch I can pull from to start in other locations.

The first plantings apparently had some alligator weed piggyback in the roots and I'm having to pull that out as I find it.

I also had some lanceleaf arrowhead start naturally last year and yesterday I counted 20 different plants around the pound several are blooming now so they'll be spreading seed as well.

Also had some widgeon grass start last fall and I'm finding it in several places around the edge.

I also have a lot of some kind of rush all around the pond. Some I leave, some I take the weed eater to.

It's really amazing how much vegetation has started to pop up after just 2.5 years. Hopefully, it'll all wedge out the FA soon and pretty things up. Luckily my little pond gets deep fast so it's all confined to the edges. Just hoping I can keep any unwanted stuff (milfoil, hydrila, cottontail, chara) from getting established.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 04/06/19 07:06 AM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!