Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
I don't know how adventurous you are, but I have read about people making catfish traps (which is probably illegal in most areas). These traps are supposed to simulate a cavity in the river bottoms which appeals to the catfish especially during spawning seasons. Well, the female flathead lays it's eggs in a cavity, the male fertilizes them, and the male ends up babysitting (for about 7 days) until the fry are large enough to venture out on their own. If one were to build a trap-like cavity and allow the adult fish to do their thing, one could possibly "trap" a ball of fry. The trick would be knowing when to pull the trap so that the process is not prematurely interrupted and you would have to know that you have Flatheads using the trap and not other cats.

I have not done this, nor do I recommend doing it without first checking you local laws and regulations.

Flatheads are very difficult to get to reproduce in captivity, so catching the fry may be the only economical way to go about it.

yeah but getting a net small enough for the fry t stay in would be hard iv seen hoop nets are the types most use and the holes are about 2 inches wide ect so not sure what type i could use