Done several jar tests last fall with samples of no Alum to high rates of Alum and any of the tests I done last fall, the sediment always went to bottom of container.
I pulled my first samples of the pond since the ice went off 6 days ago. We had some snow melt (slowly) on frozen ground and the pond came up a few feet but slowly, no bad run-off, for all practical purposes I would call it discolored like really weak tea. I have a 300' grass buffer that is mainly switch, western wheat and brome-very dense stand-about 3-5'tall and I'm hoping that discolor is "tanning" maybe??
The samples I pulled last night I brought home and put in qt size jars. I mixed differing amounts of Alum into several of these and the ones that cleared up the particulates are all at the TOP! dirty brown ring about 3/8-1/2" wide at the top??
Nothing at all on the bottom of jar like I had last fall, nothing.
I know you can get some floc at the surface but everything??
I could tell within 15 min there was a ring starting at the top. Today, big ring at the top and not anything visible on the bottom of the jars. Can anyone tell me what this means?