Originally Posted By: ewest
In the south - Bill Dance says when the redbuds are blooming the male LMB are making nests and when the dogwoods are blooming the spawn is on. That is a good general indicator. It depends on many factors but the main ones are water temps and photoperiod.

I think Bill got that from one of his predecessors, John Foxx, but yes those are good indicators from my personal experience as well. Photoperiod plays a lot bigger part than a lot of people think. Not just in fish, but basically all wildlife. Water temps are influenced by where/what that water is (ponds fed by springs tend to stay cooler, clearer water isnt as warm as turbid, northwest banks tend to be warmer than southeast due to sun exposure) and may delay spawn past the redbud/dogwood analogy.

Its definitely time here. The wild Iris we transplanted on the pond has its first flower today.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!