Dave,

That's just one of my main questions. In fact when I discuss pond builds with a contractor I kind of let them tell me their experience and see if they even mention Core Trench or Key Way before I bring it up. If I do have to bring it up then it becomes an immediate red flag. I take it a step further and have no problem asking about how many pond failures or leaking dams they have built in their career. It is pretty much a given if they have been in this business for a long time that they have had one or both at some point in a build. I am not looking for someone who just pushes dirt around. I am looking for someone who can create a plan based on my wants and desires! There is so much more to this than digging a hole in the ground or damming up a ravine. I have done detail analysis and project planning all my career
so I am very detail oriented. I have a list questions and concerns in front of me during my initial conversation. Once I find someone that I think is a possibility then the next step will be to meet them at the property and go into more detail of want I am trying to build. If they want to visit the property prior to me meeting them to get a idea on what they will be working with I am find with that and I have had a few that have.
I have tried to read as much as I can on this site and others and going back to the archives on this site. There are some interesting stories and builds. Some good and some not so good. As far as Mike Otto's book, I cam close to buying it but could not get enough information on whether it was more about buying the correct property or pond locations etc. or what. I really would like to know the chapter contents in it. I have read the several documents that the government has put out about pond building. I have purchased a few back issues of Pond Boss magazine and Ray Scotts DVD. I am in no big hurry to start the build and if it takes 2 months or 5 months to start because of finding the right builder then I can live with that. Sooner would be better because of the weather but it is not a deal breaker.
Thanks so much for your feedback. Let me know if there is a link that provides more information on what Mike's book contains.
Same for structure once a pond is being built. I read some articles that say stay away from adding organic structure such as stumps and trees etc.. to only using artificial or structure such as rocks and concrete that do not break down in time. I have always fished ponds with lots of organic structure but never gave it a thought on how it can impact the pond life.
Some of my best fishing as a kid was a couple of old cattle ponds which were always muddy but we caught a ton of LMB and catfish in them. I can guarantee back then no farmer even gave it a second thought to do anything with the pond other than to keep water in them.

Thanks

Bill