Finally downloaded Google Earth Pro hoping to see updated aerial of our valley. No luck yet. The historical photos were very educational though. The neighbors pond upstream is actually a large sediment pond and has been since before 1994. That is very exciting! It will overflow quickly and catch sediment before flowing into my wetland area. In 2011 the trees and brush were removed from it and the dam was extended. The oil guy said the state did that work.
Upon closer inspection of our wetland the lack of significant rain and warmer temps has dropped the water level to several inches across most of the area. There are some high spots that are dry. The water is getting pretty nasty in the shallows. Going to have some light rain the next few days.
We tested the water yesterday as well. pH, salinity, acidity and everything else are within the recommended levels.
The next big rain event will add a lot of great nutrients and organisms to the main pond.
Also tested the 80+ year old saltwater storage pond that has lots of short cattails. Salinity is 13! Not as many mosquito larvae observed but some. Saw some rooted moss that I had not previously seen. Will take a pic on the next visit. There is also some aquatic grass. Although the cattail pond has several seeps it still has about 12in of water. Approximately 80x40ft. Last year we put in a diversion ditch for it to catch more water. I do not have any additional plans for it.

Last edited by ShortCut; 03/10/19 11:49 AM.

How are you going to know unless you try!

NW TX 2ac main pond fed from 1100ac watershed going through 2 2+ac sediment ponds. 1st filled 10/2018
900BG, 200RES, 200HBG, 100CC and 23# FHM...."Free" BH, GSF GSH, LMB & ??? 75LMB 3/2020
I subscribe!