So excited! thanks to the suggestion of Dr. Luke I bought 2 of the wood duck houses that he has found so much success with.

I can tell you that for about the same price as the cedar ones, I found these molded plastic houses to be way better! You can see that a lot of thought went into their design. Moulded with air vents, water vents, smooth corners and openings, a great lattice on the inside for the babies to climb up with and very helpful and thoughtful mounting equipment. The easy to drop down woodchip tray also is great.

I love how it is drab/camo colored and blends well with the woods and my mounting pole.

I'm going to mount one on a pole in the water but have to wait till skating season is over to drill a hole and sink a pipe. We have a bit of polar vortex coming next week so maybe 1 more week of skating for the season!

I put the other one up today using my fiberglass pond light pole. I read on another duck forum that they found that a little higher (10') was preferred over a little lower so I went a little higher. The pipe mounted one in the water on the other side of the pond will be lower.

I had to improvise to mount on the pole as I didn't want to screw into it. I'm just using some 16 gauge underground dog fence wire to strap it to the post. I will look later to see if I can get some giant cable ties which might be more secure.

Thanks for the idea Dr. Luke and very much hoping this will allow some wood ducks to stay this year instead of dropping in for a few days and then moving on.

'stock image'

Attached Images
wood duck house.jpg
Last edited by canyoncreek; 03/02/19 06:35 PM.