Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Mike
I don’t see many in my pond either, occasionally I’ll catch one as a by catch while fishing a jig for BCP. They hang out in shallow water on sandy bottoms 18”-24”. Fish them with earth worms and you might have better luck. Very elusive in the pond

Could be I was trying too deep, Pat. I was under the impression that unless spawning, and even then, RES tend to keep to deeper water. I tried everything from around 4' out to 11'. The shallower depths under a bobber, until the length of line got too long to make a decent cast, then I went without it and just splitshot the hook on the bottom.

One thing about crawfish, everything that bit tried to swallow the hook, and I had to cut off several to keep from killing them.

I found a couple of 'dads holding eggs in my bucket, so they got tossed in the pond. I probably signed a death warrant on my Widgeon Grass doing so....hope not.

On another note, my BH are looking really good!! I also find I catch bigger BG if I use doughballs, I seldom ever gut hook one, I can catch several fish on one bait, and hardly ever catch a GSF...crawfish...its one and done, and everything in the pond eats them....except RES, LOL.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!