Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
Originally Posted By: mattmonster1991
dang they must have some crazy smelling to be able to find dry dog food tied into a sock

Diamond brand Performance dog food stinks about like any other dog food. It also works in the pond for bull tads and FHM's. I didn't used to use the sock, but the craws would sit on the outside of the cage and eat the loose dog food through the mesh. The sock stops that and makes the bait last alot longer.

I guess the oily stink really gets out into the water to attrack them. If I trap much in the pond with dogfood, you can see a sheen on the surface from the animal fats that are in it. I have switched to using fish food in the pond for that reason.

i have dry catfood which is basically dog food but smaller pieces i might try a handful and also throw in a small bass head in each trap t see which works best buying cans of sardines is a little expensive for my taste being dollar a can with 3 traps so ill try t use fish i catch if i catch bowfin or gar ill hack them up with a machette or if a catfish swallows a hook ill keep him since hes gonna die anyways and use pieces of it for my traps