Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
.... I can't remember which species came from Goliad.

Dono posted a link to these from Goliad. Since then I have seen them referenced elsewhere and in those references they were identified as Hyallela Azteca. This makes sense because Hyallela Azteca is the most widely distributed amphipod in North America ranging from Central America and Caribbean to the Artic tree line (which includes Texas). Wonder how they got to the Caribbean Islands?

I think this is a good addition to the food chain. For any pond that develops muck from a lot of terrestrial leaf inputs, definitely a good add with benefits beyond the forage.

With regard to it in comparison to the PK shrimp. I wouldn't expect these to attain as large a biomass or annual production as the PK. But I could be wrong about this. I think they would be most prevalent in the detritus, something PK will forage but primarily when other foods are in shorter supply. They can proliferate in the warm water conditions of the Deep South.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers