Something you might consider is letting the plastic free float. Most plastic will float. If yours does, consider letting the block anchor the plastic to the bottom and use wire or rope to attach it to the block loosely. The block holds it in place, the plastic floats freely above it like a tree. The advantage to this is if you hook it, it will give and sway like a tree top, then when the snag comes loose the plastic will again float upright. You might want to attach a little more flotation to the very top (such as pool noodle or pipe insulation) to make sure there is enough flotation so the "tree" remains upright. If the plastic barely floats a layer of algae might eventually sink it.

I have not done this but am planning on doing it with some plastic poultry drinkers I had surplus. I have them on the bottom of the pond weighted down with rocks, but occasionally the CC will root around on them and they will float to the surface then the wind blows them to the bank. I plan on redeploying the derelict plassons by bunching them together like a tree (or bouquet) and attaching them to one or two concrete blocks with rope so they can float upwards freely. Adjust rope length to water depth.

My idea is that cover floating freely will be less likely to snag hooks as it will "give" as a lure passes over it, then return into position via its floation.

Don't skimp on weight. More is better to keep the structure where you want it to stay. Just barely enough the structure is more prone to be moved off site. This doesn't sound like it would be a problem, but trust me, it can be.

Last edited by snrub; 02/11/19 11:56 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine