Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
HBG gape should allow them to continue feeding on yoy carp after the BG cannot...I think they’d be even more efficient predators than BG although far less fecund than BG.

TJ, my plan of attack is to attack the carp at every stage of life that I can. As you know, carp are hard to control for 3 major reasons 1) they reproduce at incredible rates 2) they grow so quickly that they soon outgrow the gape of predator fish and 3) they have an extremely long life expectancy. That coupled with the fact that they tend to impact plankton in a BOW, and in turn makes it so YOY have a low survival rate make it so they overtake a pond rather quickly. SO..... my plan is to use my grow out ponds to eliminate the dependence of plankton for YOY survival. Then I will stock grown out BG, HBG and RES to attack carp eggs and early larval stages. Those that make it past that stage will then be attacked by HSB. Those that make it past that stage will be attacked by LMB. For those few that make it to the first fall and reach nearly 6" in length, they will be attacked by my Tiger Muskie and Blue Cat. All my fish, other than TM will be feed trained and supplementally fed sporadically through the year. But I'd like to shut feed off during times when I believe carp young can be decimated most. I will also continue to trap net and seine adult carp out of the pond. With all that said, I highly doubt I'll be anywhere close to 100% effective as carp reproduction is just too overwhelming. But I do plan to have fun, learn a lot and drink beer in the process.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'