Originally Posted By: Magshine
This is where we are at currently the big ravine is 99.9% cleaned. The little ravine is completely cleaned. These pictures are takin where the dam is going to be built. My question is the soil is all good clay, do I have to remove the top soil everywhere in the pond basin to clay to seal it? It constantly has water trickling down the middle, so I shouldn't have to compact the entire basin correct?

Others can chime in but for mine, I certainly didn't remove ALL the topsoil. I did get much of it out, both because I wanted plenty on the back side of the levee and also because it's a shame to leave it down there vs. piling it up to use elsewhere. But if you have solid clay underneath the topsoil then I'd say no. Of course the risk is that you're not sure you DO have clay 100% underneath until you DO remove all the topsoil....geographic oddities that are difficult to predict have caused people on this site all sorts of headaches - better to find those before you close in the levee than after.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous