Fish roaming the surface mid-winter: All except the catfish were on the surface today...bluegill and bass were making their rounds and eating feed...weird given that our weather has been similar for weeks...lows low forty's or high thirty's and highs mid fifties to mid sixties (a few 70s) and nothing but a few big bluegills normally feed. Bottom of pond is at its coldest, 47 F, having dropped from 52 F (last time I was running aerators in a 72 F high averaging 62 F that day. I have quite a few bluegill that want to eat everyday, no matter the weather, but they normally in winter hit the feed with a momentary strike. Today they were hanging and taking feed as if it was gourmet...savor it, approach, take, move a foot, hang. The bass were just cruising around...a few of the few grab a pellet now and then. The experience (less the catfish) was like mid-summer. We are due for almost a week of cooler (averaging about 45 F) weather. Do you think the fish somehow know this? I've not thrown a Farmer's Almanac into the pond.

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac