Just checking in to record some observations. The pond has recieved aonther rain since mid Dec that pushed water out of the pond. The 15" overflow pipe was half full at the inlet. A fair amount of light tan foam was generated at the inlet of the pond and the thin layer of existing ice kept it from making it's way to the outlet pipe. This foam is likely protiens from the cattle and hay pastures that feed the pond. I measured water temps at the outlet of the overflow pipe, from surface to the botoom of the pond, and inlet watershed temps. They were all within a degre of 40 degrees F. I was releved that temp shock was not going to be an issue. I turned the aeration system on for a couple hours (all three diffusers) so that the ice would disipate and allow the foam to flow out. It may have made it's way to outlet pipe and/or broke up and disolved into the pond. Either way, the water flowed through the pond for more than 24 hours. At it's peek, I have estimated that it was flowing out at a rate of 7 to 9000 gallons per minute. That would be enough to completely flush the pond within a coule of hours (given uniform flow from inlet to outlet which would not necessarilyu be the case). At any rate, the pond's water was mostly exchanged during the 24 four period of inflow.

Ever since the heavy mid December rain, the water clarity has hovered around the 12 inch mark except for the day of receent heavy rains and it was reduce to 6". I think the two hours of aeration per day contributes to the low clarity, but I hestitate to turn it off to find out. Last year's clarity was near 30" all winter long (without any aeration).

PS: I fished the pond twice since my last entry for about 15 minutes per trip, it started to drizzle both times, it was cold, no bites whatsoever...I went back to the warm shop. My spinner may be too fast of an action for 40 degree water.

Fish on!,
Noel