I went out to the pond to feed and noticed the clarity of the water since the last rain event has started to clear up again. It had been reduced to less than a foot but now is back to around 18".

After throwing a few handfuls of AM500, I took a stroll around the bank with my polorized sunglasses on and noticed that it appears I must have had a very late season spawn of BG. Looks like I've got hundreds, if not thousands of YOY around 1-1.5" long. You can see hundreds of minnows right at the bank's edge, and just out from the bank, which is rather steep, if you look deeper, maybe 8-10, you see schools of tiny panfish swimming by all in the same direction of travel, so I know I wasn't seeing the same fish. Kinda has me a bit concerned how successful my three LMB will be this spring when it's their turn to spawn. I may have to do some trapping and try to thin out some of those panfish numbers.

I also discovered what looks like a couple of patches of Chara starting to sprout in very shallow water. I haven't done a smell test yet, but from pictures I've seen here, that's what it looks like. I'm glad to see some vegetation starting to take hold and contribute to reducing my nutrient load.

The pond seems to be coming into it's own at just a little over two years old and having only bucket stocked a few dozen fish, but I may need to increase my LMB numbers to keep the "perch" under control. If nothing else, my 3 bass aught to have plenty to eat and could possibly need to be replaced sooner than I planned if they get too big, too fast.

It's definitely been a constant learning experience.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!