I'm going back for a visit with my fishing equip here in a couple of weeks, meaning If I'm lucky enough to get a 14" plus, I'm going to pull otoliths and I'll be able to tell within a few days accuracy.
He tells me it usually takes 5 yrs to see them showing up over that 14" mark but I don't know, and haven't ask yet what the forage base is in either of the 2 lakes/ponds he has YP in, but I'm going to make a point to ask and I will add that back here.
On a side note, last week he said him and his 2 boys had caught 4 over 18" since ice-up. I don't ever expect to get anything to that point but was hoping for conditions such that 12-14" was doable.
I have sent a text to see if I can get an answer on food/forage a bit quicker than 2 weeks.. I'll post the reply I get back.
Edit: Ok, I got an answer back on forage base. He says the best of the 2 ponds for YP has a strong Bluegill population, a few walleye that rarely show much for reproduction and Good numbers of self-sustaining FHM and a few GSH. He does no supplemental feeding. He did say he gets the occasional crawdad in a minnow trap.
I guess nothing special there.. I would suspect there is something else present he doesn't know about, maybe..

Last edited by Snipe; 01/07/19 11:10 PM.