I went out to clean out the screen that covers my overflow pipe just now. The recent system dropped 3.75 inches of rain and the pond was on the verge of overflowing its banks completely due all the watershed coming in, and the screen had become clogged with leaves. The top is open so excess water can pass over the top of the screen if it's too congested. It flows through a 6 inch pipe into the streets ditch.

Anyway, when I bent down to clear it, I see something swimming in the basket. I easily retrieved it and initially thought it was a YOY LMB, but quickly realized it was some kind of minnow. The mouth is sucker type, body very fusiform, and a distinct black stripe down the side. (Picture Attached)

[img:left]https://photos.app.goo.gl/fCpPDTanWgt17fCg6[/img]

Can anyone tell me what this is? I'm guessing some kind of shiner. Did I mess up by putting it in the pond? I'm thinking if he's a one and only, he wont last long with my three LMB. If he's got company, then I have another once unknown forage source.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 01/04/19 05:31 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!