Originally Posted By: scampbell
Here is the question: if we put 24k fingerling CNBG and 24K fathead Minnows, left it along for a year then come back with 60 LMB/acre would this stocking plan be successful for a Bassfishing Lake. .... One draw back I have been told was that by doing this it gives the CNBG time to mature enough to be able to eat the fingerling bass when they are stocked???

I think this is a legitimate concern and one I would also be concerned about.

.... Any and all advise is welcomed, just want to get this one going in the right direction from the start and not have to play catch up with time or money.
thanks for the help...

If it were me ... I would give consideration to stocking fingerling bass alongside the prey stocking. While the TFS are going to replace FHM for prey next year you will miss the growth the LMB will achieve this year if you delay. The FHM will provide the bulk of the prey for the LMB in the first year and so the objectives you have for the BG should still be met.

Also you have different ideas on stocking let me know. I know the ideal way is 1000 CNBG/ acre but that does cost. So give me your thoughts

The benefits of such a high density of CNBG would likely be reduced reproduction of LMB the following Spring if you stock fingerling LMB with the prey and this is a desired outcome. Even higher densities may be desired. But considering the cost, there are more cost effective ways to achieve a similar, and perhaps a more beneficial outcome. I would give consideration to stocking a fixed number/acre of adult CNBG parental pairs which will reproduce in great number in the first year. I would give consideration to stocking in this order. FHM in Feb/Mar ... LMB when available ... and adult CNBG midway through the growing season. At your stocking rate of LMB and with the addition of TFS, there will be no shortage of appropriately sized food for the next couple of years during which time your LMB growth should approach maximum rates of growth.

What you may need to be concerned about with this approach is LMB reproduction which could be completely curtailed by BG in the early going. Stocking advanced fingerling could be required in the first few years. But you only need to recruit 3 to 4 > 12" females per acre per annum to keep the trophies coming. You could grow these in your forage pond in the beginning or purchase them. If you save $25,000-$50,000 on BG, that would serve to purchase a lot of advanced fingerling LMB. Perhaps even the time value of the money saved would be sufficient to more than fund their purchase. I would prefer advance fingerling that are acclimated to BG as forage.

I'm sure this will create a lot of debate but I don't think there would be any long term ill effects once you have good representation of LMB across multiple year classes at which time you could concentrate on forage production.

Last edited by jpsdad; 12/28/18 08:05 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers