I like having them as well, probably more than FHM, especially since my goal is a large panfish pond.

If I were inclined to target LMB as my preferred species, then I'd probably look into something different, but my pond isn't big enough to have many trophy sized LMB. I can keep a lot more 9+" Panfish (BG,GSF,RES, WM, etc) and not overload my biomass as quickly.

My few LMB (3 at the moment) are strictly for crowd control of mid range BG & GSF. The GSF help keep the yoy BG in check, and the GAMs provide a good source of forage for all of the panfish. If I am lucky enough to have any LMB recruitment, then I'll have to manage their numbers and remove anything over 14+ inches.

With the numbers of panfish I've got now, I'm not sure many LMB fry will survive, but if 3 or 4 make it beyond year 1 each season, I'll be happy.

The GAMs may help keep some of the pressure off of any LMB hatchlings, not much, but hopefully enough to also benefit any that can make it to 4-6", then their feed preference should shift to smaller panfish.

That's my thinking anyway. I may be wrong...I was once, but I've slept since then...lol.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!