Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to get answers for the type of questions you have asked. In short order an expert will chime in to help you get some answers for your questions. Lots of people are in your situation; recent purchase of a property with a pond and not sure what direction to go. To assess what is in the pond, you have two options. One is the electroshock survey you mentioned. The Pond Boss magazine is a great source to find services such as these in your area, not to mention great articles and information. A subscription is a highly recommended investment. Otherwise, fishing both ponds with a variety of baits and lures is another alternative to see what is currently present. Use artificial and live bait and also run the gamut on hook size too. Write down the length and weight of each fish caught. Most Midwest ponds that have not been actively managed and that are stocked with bass and bluegill will end up with tons of stunted bass in the 12” range and large bluegills. In this scenario it will be difficult to stock any new species that is less than 6”. A general rule of thumb is that a bass will eat anything that is 40% of its own length. So probably the only way to get RES established will be to source some that are 5-6” or to catch them locally and stock them yourself. I will tell you that I stocked 3-5” RES in my pond when my bass were 8” and i had virtually no survival that I can see 5 years later. The perch are kind of the same story but will be even more attractive to the bass because they are more fusiform than the sunfish and therefore make easier prey. You will have to wait for someone else to comment on HSB, I have no experience with them. Again, welcome to the forum!