While grass is probably the supreme source of cover, I don't think its absolutely necessary to produce quality sized fish. I've fished several ponds in my life, some of which had grass, some with only hard cover (laydowns, brush piles, etc.). I've also fished large impoundments that transitioned from heavy grass cover to virtually none due to being chemically removed.

The presence of grasses on large BOWs has always seemed to produce much bigger fish on a more consistent basis, but my personal biggest fish came from areas without grass. I used to fish a certain pond that had lots of hard cover ONLY, and consistently produced 4+ pound LMB and an occasional 6-8 pounder.

The point I'm making is, without ample cover for forage, regardless of its type, your predators will decimate them and may never reach trophy status. I don't think it matters what type of cover it is, as long as you have enough of it.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!