Hi everyone,

I have a dam/fountain with 9 goldfish. Have run a successful breeding program with them and everything. Never had a problem with it up until now.
I have looked for answers on this forum but I can't find one to my question really.

My water has always been clear and clean.Not anymore.

About a month ago (more or less) we ended up with a little orphan duck. So my mom decided the fish dam will be the perfect place for it during the day. She felt he was lonely and he got a friend about a week ago.

Almost instantly after the first duck arrived the water started to go murky and cloudy. As if it was not filtering properly anymore. Just thought it might be when the duck is swimming it kicks up all the bottom dirt.

Now with the second duck moving in I noticed today that the surface has an oily film on it.

I do have plants in the pond.

Answers that I have seen on google have been to check for dead fish (which I honestly can't see cause the water is so murky and would be really sad about) and something called filamentous algae. Can't really figure out what that is.

So my question is can all this be caused by the ducks or is it pure coincidence? How can I fix this?

I will post a photo of the dam tomorrow (it is night now) to better help with my question.