I referenced a link to a Swingle paper in my post above regarding BG spawns and the conditions favorable to successful spawns. Notwithstanding the obvious advantages of BG size, BG condition is a very important factor for a successful spawn. The ideal circumstance is where BG spawn at regular intervals throughout the Summer months. This isn't always the case as Swingle observed below:

Originally Posted By: Swingle
For instance, during the same year within a 5-mile radius from Auburn, bluegills began to spawn in one pond in April and were observed spawning again during May, June, July, August and September; in another pond they spawned in May and again in September; in another the first spawning occurred in September.

Al's targeting of breeding size BG for feeding seems to me a good strategy for this purpose. Even so, survival of YOY to the size to benefit > 16" LMB (>2") must also be considered. Ideally, there must be sufficient weight and number of breeders to continually spawn all Summer, but not so many that they reduce the number of YOY BG surviving to 2". To this end, removal of small LMB and BG of breeding size that constitute an unneeded surplus of breeders should contribute to maximizing production of >2" YOY BG.

Last edited by jpsdad; 12/09/18 08:46 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers