Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

So here's a question. What's the gape of this LMB? Is it 5.5" from extended lip to lip, or is it 4.75" from the protrusions on the roof palette to the lower lip? This LMB was 9#'s, and if measuring from the narrowest part of the mouth opening (4.75"), she would max out at about an 8-8.5" CNBG, which has an average height of 4" here. 10" CNBG average 6-6.25" height. Gape determines everything.

I would lean toward to the 4.75" measurement or perhaps just in between. It might interest you to learn that the 100 to 1 mass ratio is fullfilled at 4.5" for a 8.5lb 24" LMB and at 4.7" for 9.78 lb 25" LMB. These are standard LMB and BG weights. In both cases, the length is between 1/6 and 1/5 the length of the LMB (.188).

A BG has spines in its dorsal fins and extends them rigidly as defense. This may also play a role.

Looking at the photograph got me to think about another relevant feature of the mouth that might contribute to the success of capture. Its that tounge. Its there for a purpose and I think that purpose is to push prey to rear of the mouth. It may be used in conjuction with the roof pads for constraining prey motion. What are your thoughts Al? Would the tounge affect the measurement of effective gape?

Last edited by jpsdad; 12/05/18 08:26 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers