Great topic! The data and concept of reducing the optimum forage size as it relates to the predator size makes a lot of good sense to me. For LMB and several other piscivorous fish, I've always considered their catching and eating 'sunfish' 1/3 the predator length was not their most common (bass) food item. I've thought the larger sized food items were most commonly eaten usually as the weak or most vulnerable individuals encountered. Most frequent forage was smaller that what the predator was capable to swallowing. LMB as many predators are opportunists. Success of capture no doubt plays a big role in what predators most successfully eat.

Also handling time is longer for eating the maximum sized forage items. Handling time of predatory action due to chances of other predators stealing the food is considered a pretty important factor by fishery researchers. When I hand feed large softened sinking pellets to various species, I almost always see several individuals after the same piece of food which suggests "neighbors" are always willing to steal a food item (kleptoparasitism). So if when eating it takes one too long to get food swallowed, food can easily get stolen. It behooves predators to eat as quickly as possible which to me means eat the smallest yet largest items that can be swallowed quickly.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/04/18 08:26 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management