I have a 2015 Honda Foreman 500 Utility ATV that I use to get around my 50+ acres of land. There are hills, deep mud, fallen trees, creeks to cross, lots of water... It does everything I need it to do..... Now there are times when I wish I had the additional space of a UTV / side by side with a small dump bed. For instance, I can't fit the 85lb. Golden Retriever on the ATV so I often keep him at home.. If I had a UTV it would definitely come in handy for hauling the dog, passengers and fishing gear back to the pond... With that being said lets talk about the ATV and what it can do and why I have not yet found it necessary to buy a UTV.

- The ATV is easy to transport.. I can load it into the bed of the truck or pull it on a small trailer.

- I have equipped it with good accessories to make it useful.. These include a chainsaw carrier, winch, storage bags, a gun rack which doubles as a fishing rod holder or shovel holder, and a trailer hitch. When used by my pond I often carry a collapsible fishing rod so that I can ride through the woods without snagging every tree I pass.

- The ATV is more maneuverable and will fit through tighter areas.. some UTV's are narrow but typically, these are the type of UTV's that are used more for mostly sport riding and not as much utility.

- If I get stuck I can lift the ATV up and get freed up (usually).

- Sometimes it's just easier to jump on the ATV and ride away. This is quicker than sitting down and seat belting in a UTV. I have ran down trespassers very quickly by being able to jump on and take off. Almost like a modern day horse.

The price of name brand UTV's is still quite high.. I often think along the same lines as RAH with buying a used Jeep. If I were to buy any UTV, it would be the Honda Pioneer 1000-5. This is IMHO the best of the best.. looks good, fits people, cargo and has some punch for just fooling around in the mud. It also does not use a belt type drive which is more reliable for utility use.