Pound for pound that is true.

Any area of the pond that is totally covered in rock rather than a clay or dirt bottom is going to act like a rock quarry though. For example in my small forage pond I nearly completely lined it with crushed rock. The water is mostly exposed to the limestone rock instead of the acid soil. So the pond acts more like a quarry pond than a dirt pond.

But you are correct, if you are using it for pH control and only want to haul in the minimum number of tons to do the job, large rocks are definitely not the way to go.

I forget what the particle size is for soil amendment, but above a certain size if it is in lime it is not even considered in the effective calcium chloride equivalent. Very fine grind lime amends the soil (or water) rapidly but does not have as long lasting effects (liquid lime fits this bill also). Slightly coarser grind does not change the pH as fast but last longer ( we figure about 6-8 years between liming fields). Above a certain particle size it is considered to have no effect as far as a pH amendment goes.

Last edited by snrub; 11/08/18 10:43 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine