Originally Posted By: Bill D.
IMO the more diversity there is in the forage base, the less pressure there is on any one species. If you can add a new sustainable and nearly non competing forage to your pond (such as a herbivore introduced to a pond of omnivores), the current resident forage will realize an increase in prosperity.

Not a pro, just 1 cent from a novice.

Do you mean to say the current resident forage will increase in number and biomass? While I can think of some species that will interact with BG (by providing forage for them like PK shrimp) in this way I find it difficult to sell this bill for TP. TP are clearly capable of dominating consumption of primary production. So many forage organisms depend on this primary production it is difficult to make a case as to how these species are benefitted by TP. Take rotifers, cladocerans, amphipods, etc. They need the phytoplankton and detritus that the TP are consuming. If this primary production is under utilized then perhaps there remains enough to maintain them but it is hard to sell the bill that TP take pressure off these types of organisms. The BG can't eat most of the TP and rely on these organisms. I would be willing to make a friendly wager that through the growing season TP inhibit BG reproduction rather than promote it and that BG growth is boosted because there are fewer YOY BG produced.

We should keep in mind that the introduction of new species do not always result in benefits to others. Do zebra mussels take pressure off of BG, cladocerans, etc? Probably not. TP, especially when stocked at higher density will quickly convert primary production and detrital stores into biomass only large predators can effectively eat (at least until the annual dieoff).

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/08/18 09:34 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers