Congratulations on the completion of your new home. If you are like me, you will be out around your pond every chance you get now that you will be living there.

The size of watershed can be a mixed blessing. Too little and you run into the problem you have now. Too much and you get excessive flow through which brings its own problems.

My ponds are pretty skimpy on watershed area also. They can get low but have never gotten as low as you are talking about.

As you get more into it there might be a possibility that you could divert some more watershed into your pond. Might even be a farmer next door that wants a place to go with some water. I had a field on the east side of this place that ran water along the edge of the field during big rains. Neighbor has a pond with almost no runoff. I talked to her and we came to an agreement for me to build a terrace to take the water of a portion of my field and into her pond. Win - win. Something to keep in mind and maybe look at an aerial map or topography map and see if any surrounding area could be diverted.

NRCS can help with such a determination or if you need some advice I'm just a few miles away. Glad to help however I can.

Last edited by snrub; 11/07/18 11:41 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine