What you use depends so much on what is available within a reasonable hauling distance. "Here" we have multiple limestone rock quarry's within 25 miles so crushed limestone in various sizes is the go-to rock. But if your location is a long ways from a limestone quarry then lime becomes an expensive amendment rather than relatively cheap.

I have never used quickcrete in burlap bags, but here is something you might consider.
Erosion control with quickcrete

quickcrete in fiber reinforced bag for erosion control

I have used quickcrete in regular cement bags placing it where I want a big "rock" the size of a 60 or 80# bag of quickcrete but the problem with the regular paper bags is as soon as they hit water you are done moving them around because they will soon split when wet. But I have used ordinary bags of 3000# strength quickcrete to line the edge of a crossing to hold the rock in place better. The fiber reinforced bags especially designed for the purpose would be much better if placing in water as they could be moved without ripping apart once the bag got wet.

Be advised quickcrete (or another brand presumably) is a LOT cheaper when bought in pallet quantities.

Another thing to consider whatever you do, make sure you wrap the rock up around the wash so the water stays within the rock area. If you just fill a wash with rock that particular spot will be fixed but the first rain will wash out on either of both sides of the rock. So you have to make sure when water runs again it stays in a channel with rock up both sides as high as the water gets.

You can also use the power of water to your advantage by putting lime in the path of the water flow to "wash" it into the pond over time by multiple rain events.

Last edited by snrub; 11/07/18 12:53 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine