The spatterdock in the middle of that old pond is actually right beside the hump but it will eventually cover the hump also.

More than you probably want to know, but the under water hump was originally a very small island (maybe 10'x20'). When cleaning out the muck in the old pond it got to the point the sides were so steep and slick from the muck I just was not making headway. So rather than trying to push the remaining muck out of the pond, I just turned around and pushed it up to the center of the pond in a high pile (to get the most deep area I could). Named it "Turtle Island. And the turtles did like. What I should have named it was "Canada Goose Island" because I had a pair every year I had to run off as they insisted to make a nest on the island. Perfect protection for them from the coyotes. But I did not want my very own flock of Canada's pooping all over everything all the time. So I raised the dam, put in an overflow pipe at a higher full pool level, and raised the water to where now the island is no longer an island but an under water hump. No more geese problems. The spatterdock had been growing on the east side of the island before raising the water level as that was the portion of the pond where I could never remove the remaining muck so the water was still fairly shallow there. The spatterdock will eventually expand in size to about double what it is now to cover what was the island and is not the hump. But the water is deep enough around that area it should not expand much more than that.

Shen I first cleaned the pond out, a small area just east of the island still held a small amount of water and was too wet for me to clean out. So that area was going to be more shallow water than the areas surrounding it. After the pond filled to the new cleaned out level, there were some very spindly spatterdock leaves that made it to the surface in that area. I thought I was going to have problems with it there. But it must have been just barely too deep because after a couple years of the spatterdock trying to leaf out from that depth, the roots must have dies because it quit trying. Since I raised the pond another 18" since then to cover the island up, that water now should be plenty deep to keep the spatterdock away for quite some time.

The area that I will eventually have to control some of it will be on the south side of the pond where there is some shallow water area. The batch that is there I will eventually have to kill out some of it as it spreads more than I like.

FireIsHot mentioned water approved surfactant was mentioned to add to the water approved glyphosate. If the label calls for it, I would definitely use it. Different mixtures of glyphosate herbicides may or may not already have surfactants included. Plants with a waxy surface surfactants can definitely aid in the chemical entering the plant thus making it more effective. Read the label and see what it recommends. That said, if I had the choice of spraying the spatterdock before it goes dormant without additional surfactant and waiting till an order came in of surfactant and taking the chance the spatterdock would have went dormant (we are right at the knifes edge of that plant shutting down for winter), I would spray it and take the chance. It is not that the glyphosate will not work without the surfactant, it is just that the surfactant breaks down the water tension so it will penetrate the waxy leaves better, making a given dosage more effective. In other words, if it calls for surfactant but you don't have any, use the highest end the legal label rate will allow to make sure you get a kill. Error on the stout side.

Last edited by snrub; 11/06/18 12:45 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine