Originally Posted By: ewest
Originally Posted By: snrub
Another question would be, do fatty BG cause fatty LMB?

Fed BG makes fatty BG. Fed LMB makes fatty LMB. But do fatty fed BG eaten by LMB that are not fed cause fatty LMB?

In other words, does feeding the BG pass on bad things up the food chain?

Good question and I don't know the answer. I do have a WAG. I guess that the LMB eating fed BG will convert the BG to what a LMB needs and that the source of the BG fat will be irrelevant. I could easily be wrong on this.

Based on my reading natural sources of food lead to a healthier fish population. When combined with supplemental feeding (low % of total nutrition) you get the best of both . I have not seen any info indicating that for long term health purposes that completely feed dependent fish is the better course.

It is well known that differing foods fed cladocerans result in forage of differing quality for raising fish fry. The quality of tilapia as food for humans declines the more dependent the fish were on a prepared diet where the most healthy fish in terms of omega 3's were raised on green water.

To be sure, grain feeding forage doesn't produce a diet as healthy for LMB as those raised on natural forages. Even so, the extent it may adversely affect the health of LMB would be rather muted in the light of the feeding rates that most people feed at. In other words, the forage doesn't depend to a great extent on feed.

I do think however that LMB that are feed trained are much more dependent on feed than BG which need no training.

Originally Posted By: ewest

When combined with supplemental feeding (low % of total nutrition) you get the best of both .

I am sorry but this hardly makes sense to me smile

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/05/18 11:45 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers