Heath what you likely have are cow lilies otherwise known as spatterdock. It is possible you have lilly pads but spatterdock is much more common in our area. The control is likely the same. I have some in my old pond but to date it is a small desired amount so have never had to try and control it (yet). So I can't give you any help on the control measures.

I have some aquatic glyphosate (Roundup active ingredient) but I can not remember the specific brand right off hand. I think I saw some at Tractor Supply in town the last time I was there. It is in the same area as the pond dye near the hunting supply stuff. If that is what is called for to control the spatterdock fall is an excellent time to control perennials as long as they have not shut down for winter. They are currently moving nutrients from the photosynthesis growing portion of the plant to the root system (to create winter reserves) so translocated herbicides like Roundup are carried to the roots for total kill.

Just an FYI, the reason you can't use regular Roundup is two fold. One, it is not labeled for aquatic use. Two, the aquatic version of glyphosate uses a different carrier that is not potentially toxic to fish. The glyphosate that does the actual killing is no different than Roundup.

Last edited by snrub; 11/04/18 09:28 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine