In the spring of 2017, as an experiment, we stocked about 55 feed trained LMB that weighed between 1-1.25 lbs. into a 1.6 acre pond that had an existing bass population. We also stocked in 400 adult 5"-7" native northern BG. The prior fall we had harvested 60 LMB from that pond. This was all part of a project to renovate the pond and improve the fishing. The feeder is now shut down for the winter so we have been feeding them for two seasons.

This season we caught some nice(3+ lb.)fish out of there when over much of the last 10 years we caught mostly 12"-14" bass. So it seems the combination of harvest targets (the initial 60 prior to the stocking + 20 LMB <14" per surface acre per year as "maintenance") and feeding have resulted in better quality fishing from a size and relative weight perspective.

But we still want these feed trained fish to eat natural forage. I feed a total of about 2 lbs. per day of pellets. A number of the fish hanging around the feeder look well over 3 lbs. but we don't fish near it often.....next year we will.

I am somewhat concerned that these large fed fish will be much harder to catch. I will likely decrease the amount of feed next year as I want to make sure they are also figuring out how to eat natural forage which, I think, will make them more likely to hit our lures.

Like I said, this has been and will continue to be an experiment. We do not plan on putting feeders on our other two BOWs (6.5 & 1.5 acres). We are renovating those ponds as well and have hit our harvest and maintenance harvest targets for the last 2 years. Relative weights are increasing in those ponds as is the length of the average fish. Clearly harvest and habitat have been key in both of those.

Buying a quality feeder like a TX Hunter and using quality pellets like Aquamax MVP is not cheap. Plus the maintenance of keeping the feeder filled and pellets in stock takes time and some planning, especially since we do not live on the property....it is a weekend place. I would recommend not going crazy with the feeders, at least initially. If you decide to feed, buy just one feeder that holds 70 lbs. of pellets or so and just see if it works for you or not. I like having a feeder and its fun to try and grow some larger fish but we have no intention of buying another. BM61.

Last edited by bassmaster61; 11/02/18 11:44 AM.