I noticed my aerator seems to run a little more loudly lately and the boil seems to be not as good as before. I have done the necessary cleaning and I store it inside in the winter, I don't run much in spring and fall and mostly nights (12 hrs or less) once weather is hot during the day.

I contacted Vertex where I bought it to see what could be up. They said check PSI, they recommend 4PSI on my single cylinder 1/4hp compressor. I had 4PSI.

They then looked up when I bought it (May 2013) and then the helpful technician told me this:

"Now with the system being that old and the fact that you let it sit during the winter and off at night. The Piston cup being Teflon coated and the sleeve being aluminum; after running and getting hot then cooling and sitting. The cup tends to stick to the sleeve and it takes a tiny piece each time it starts up. Over time it wears down and sticks to the sleeve. And the piston head starts to rub against the sleeve and that would create a louder sound and less air (blowby). The new replacement maintenance kits and replacement compressor are now coming with Teflon coated cups and sleeves to stop that sticking. That does sound like that is going to be the issue at hand."

He is quoting an upgrade kit for me and will give me instructions on how to do this myself. I also noted the rubber boot on my big capacitor is shredding/tearing and coming off. I should get one of those too.

I should have 'low hours' compared to those who run their compressors 24/7. Should I just plan to do the rebuild every 5 years?

Since it still gives 4PSI and some boil I may or may not tear into it this winter unless others tell me that I should. I may just see how much louder it gets?

Anyone do this and note a big change in boil performance or reduction in compressor noise?