Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
I finished draining the forage pond down to a small puddle, netted out and transferred the 5 Koi I put in back in May, all the BG and LMB I wanted to keep, and then scattered 10 pounds of quicklime into the puddle. Those Koi were only about 4-5" when stocked on May 10. I was amazed at the growth. 11-13" and some over a pound.

I originally stocked FHM in the forage pond, but LMB and BG got in during a flood. I didn't find a single FHM. I decided this past spring to grow out those 5 Koi to big enough size the LMB couldn't eat them, then restart the forage pond. FHM to be stocked next spring.

Here's a picture after I finished.

Guess you willl get to see if the water clears up without the fish in there. When I was at John's place his two other ponds were reasonably clear. But this very small forage pond he drained was the nastiest water in a pond I think I ever saw. It was worse than chocolate milk.

Amazing the Koi did that well in that water. John had ask me if I thought the Koi were causing the turbidity but I had no experience with Koi so could not offer any help.

Last edited by snrub; 10/16/18 07:01 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine