Hi folks, I have a frost free woodford hydrant. It is I believe the Y34 model, a 1" diameter pipe going down in the ground with the valve down below to make it frost free. It is fed from my house well via a poly line.

Not sure how it is possible but the handle that opens and closes the valve (turns water on/off) snapped. It looks like it may have been bumped when the handle was in the up position by the lawn mower but still can't imagine that solid aluminum would snap.

I did notice that lately it was getting very hard to open and close the handle. I studied the diagrams about how to adjust the handle but no mention was made of lubing or maintenance. It sounded like it was permanently lubed. Now I have to unbolt the areas where the old handle is still attached.

While I'm at it, if something can be done to make it work more smoothly again I'd like to tackle it all at once. I have to take the top 2 bolts off in the attached picture. The adjustment for having it 'click to close' at the end of the downstroke seems to be good as I have no leak issues and it does that final click as it locks closed.

I use this to fill the pond but also to flood the ice in the winter.

Attached Images
woodford.jpg
Last edited by canyoncreek; 10/08/18 12:03 PM.