Originally Posted By: canyoncreek

Why is it that public waters struggle to grow big fish? Overfishing? lack of supply in a 'natural' lake? Lake of proper fish management by the DNR/DEQ in public waters?

Public waters are where you catch monster Stripers, Flatheads, Blue Cats, Pike, and Muskellenge. Their presence hurts LMB numbers and some folks do overharvest LMB. Lack of LMB will stunt a bluegill population and once it gets stunted ... its expensive to fix the problem in a large impoundment. In some cases it can't be fixed.

Theo, some great fish.

Everyone here has their own great fishing hole and can manage it for the fish they like. But I can tell you that some good public BOWs for BG do exist when LMB are in sufficient supply and other predators are not present. The best places to fish are small impoundments and those that are good have been well cared for by local fishermen. I know I have caught and released HBG large enough to be a Texas state record. I'd rather have the honey hole than the recognition.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers