If I looked at it purely from a payback point of view, it is cost prohibitive. All in I could do it myself in the 5-8K range. So my intrigue is more project excitement, than fiscal viability. I could make some money back from utility, but it appears to be capped, mitigating a plausible payback scenario.

I have generated a calculator for waterwheel design to maximize efficiency with the flow at the site. This was initially modeled in ProE in aluminum, but realized it was going to be ~4K with me doing all of the welding (not my speciality). Since then I have a low cost idea for a waterwheel using a 8’ utility Cable reel and a cable reel carrier. I would like to demonstrate its function before spending more money on something that isn’t viable. Also looking at building a Kaplan turbine using a jet drive impeller and dc 3-ph alternator. There are some out there on the market using commercially available components.

In either case it is like a science project! Ultimately, I just want to be more self sufficient, albeit may not be more cost effective. Just thought I would post it on here to see if there were any other folks with kindred spirits looking at ideas like this.

I have not seen that article, thank you. I feel like I ready the academic version of that report, but it may have been a different universities.

I have a notebook full of ideas and have scoured the internet on all of them. If you have any thoughts or questions throw them out and I would love to engage with you on it. It all centers around the following:
1. Keep it a simple as possible (minimize unnecessary losses)
2. Work = Force * Distance
3. Work: How do you store it or use it

Thanks,
Jason

2 acre Pond (Northern Michigan): ~2.6 Million Gallons
Fish (Natural from Creek): BG, YP, BH, Pike, Bass, plethora of minnows
Fish (Planted): RBT, HBG
Aeration: 1/4 HP Compressor (MPC-60A @ 2.9CFM); 2 - 9" diffusers
Fed by creek ~100 GPM to 1000+GPM