Originally Posted By: mglanham
FYI. It was granular form. It mixed well. About 30 gallons of water to 50lbs was the ratio I used. It was easy to handle that way. It was a lot of work, but wow.......did it clear my pond.
Originally Posted By: RGC3
Well, jar test in a 5 gal bucket revealed I needed ~1/5 tsp alum to clear the water in ~30 minutes. If I have the numbers right... that works out to 1/25 tsp alum/gal water, so for my 250K gal pond I need 10K tsp which I think is in the neighborhood of 130 lbs of alum (using .013 lb/tsp for table salt). This also agrees pretty well with using ~100 lb for a 0.8 acre-ft pond.

So that all seemed good, unfortunately after posting yesterday we had a crazy downpour and washed a whole bunch of new runoff (that I'm working to control) into the pond... in the end I'm back where I started and will need to do this again! Ugh.
Refers to this post....maybe he used hydrated lime.....It was RG53 that said 50#alum and 25# ag lime......the color it was is indicative of a really low pH though...hope it was fishless water

Last edited by Rainman; 10/01/18 05:45 PM.