We get a Great White egret on occasion also but it seems to come for a few days and then gone. Then might be back later. We have had white herons also. The GBH have rookeries around Cow Creek which runs through our place. One or two of them are regulars. Some years they will bring the young-uns. The first couple years we just marveled at them. But then one got to being way too friendly to the point I could hardly run it off. Plus about three were showing up. So I set up a "discouragement" program and now any time they see me they leave.

I really do not mind them getting a few fish if they would stick with the BG or GSF. Got plenty they can have. But then I find a nice LMB with a poke hole in it floating along the bank (of which I have not enough) and they are no longer endeared to me.

I get Green Herons every year but they can only get the small fish and I leave them pretty much alone. They are kind of funny and squawk in defiance of me when I approach as if to tell me it is their pond. Lots of killdeers which get tiny fish that I also leave alone. About accidentally run over a newly hatched clutch once by the edge of the pond. The tiny little hairballs jumped into the water, swam a few feet out from the bank, then promptly back out of the water and ran off. Did not know the little things could even swim. Always end up with at least one new family each year. Sometimes several.

Have seen some sort of sandpiper several times. Small bird with long curved beak that loves to pick off small shiners or tiny BG (I assume that is what they ear) along the edge of ponds.

I really like all the wildlife unless it gets to the point they are a nuisance. That happens really fast with cormorants and geese. Snow geese in the winter and Canadas in the spring and fall.

Last edited by snrub; 09/21/18 10:26 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine