Originally Posted By: snrub
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
The last few nights I've been stepping out with my spotlight and shining the pond, just to see if there are any "univited" guests. Last night, no sooner as I turned the lamp on, a GBH swoops in from the side of the house and lites on the edge of the pond with what looked like a small snake in his beak. He casually swallowed it and flew off. I had no idea herons hunted at night.

I can look out our bedroom window and see the pond. I see the GBH sometimes on a moonlit night fishing.

I've seen GBH decoys but dont know how effective they are at deterring other birds.

I occasionally also have a great white heron and a small stork visit during the day, along with a couple egrets. I've watched them closely to see how successful they are. So far I've only seen them catch minnows or grass hoppers. up But when the BG/GSF get on beds right against the bank, they could be easy prey. Haven't noticed any spear marks tho.

SE Ks Pond Boss forum get together Sept 22, 2018

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!