Canyon, I live on my property and pond is only 150 ft from my back porch. I visit the pond at least twice a day during feeding times and I keep a written log of everything including dates I clean the duck house and get ready for fall. Last year was October 1st and this year was Sept. 18th. You have time to get your duck house up for this year. Just get one on the way asap.There are plenty online sources and most run about $40-$50 each. I would purchase wood. I have heard negative results from the plastic ones on the market but I have no personell experience with them. Go to Ducks Unlimited website for proper size and location of your house. I believe that is where I got the dimensions to build mine. Make sure it is some type of solid wood and not any type of plywood. My first I built out of very good waterproof plywood decking and it came apart in one year. I believe cedar may be the best. Also I chose to use Aspen wood shaving for nesting material. DO NOT use saw dust. It is bad for the birds. Also you must install some type of predator guard on your pole below your box to keep snakes and racoons out of nest. I made a sheet metal "cone" below mine. I placed mine at the ponds edge and about 6 ft. high to the hole opening in the box.Hope this helps

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.