Shorty, how do you get the GSH to bite? I'm curious also how you gauge the population of hatch, 2" size or 4-6" size, do you net occasionally?

I am seeing a summer 'hatch' now with a few schools of 1/2" - 1" shiners. I can't tell if they are GSH or spotfins. I see the schools hang out around the crevice structures that I set out in the pond so I'm hoping they are spotfins staying close to the place where they hatched since they most likely had a recent warm weather spawn hatch?

I was hoping to have side by side healthy populations of both SFS and GSH. I didn't think the large GSH would be able to eat the eggs of the SFS since they are in the tiny crevices in my artificial structures. I think the GSH are helping control the FA and are probably helping control my very small YP fish population.

I don't have a way to gauge size or quantity of large GSH but I know there are some as the kids have caught a few in the 5-6" range while using corn to catch goldfish.

I think the YP are filling up on pellets, then shiner minnows of one type or the other but I was also hoping to get a huge number of shiners before putting in my predator fish.

Others talk of clouds of minnows all around the pond and I rarely see that. Of course with GSH they need vegetation to lay their eggs into and I still have none.

Last edited by canyoncreek; 09/12/18 09:22 PM.