I'm in a quandary on what stocking plan I should go with, LMB-BG or YP pond. I've trying to be honest with myself about how much work I'm willing to do long-term to manage the pond. History has shown I tend to burn myself out after a few years and don't pay as much attention to my "pet projects" as I did when first started. My goals for the pond are:
Fun fishing as opposed to trophy fishing. We just like to catch fish and fry'em up!
Family recreation area with dock, picnic area, and swimming.
Property is about 30 miles away and the plan is to hold for long-term family use, not resale.
Not really interested in a feeding or aeration program, nearest electric 1/2 mile from the property.
Installed an 8" bottom draw siphon system for water control.
So far have stocked 5# FHM, 5# GSM, and few hundred softshell crayfish.
Filling has been a problem this past year but terracing and diverting another draw seems to have solved that problem. As per this thread:
What a difference a year makes
water has been fairly muddy all last year, with a few cattails and mossy clumps forming before the water starting rising. Other ponds in the area seem to have normal water appearance, so I'm not too concerned at this point. Just have to see how it does when pond reaches full pool.
I understand the pond will need management, I'm just looking for monthly rather than daily or weekly.
The pond should be about two acres and fairly deep with mostly steep sides. There are two water inlet areas that will be shallower and will be set up as nursery areas with brush piles and water plants.
So what stocking plan would meet most of those goals?