My pond is just over 2 years old. The number of fish I've personally stocked will barely cover the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.

Thanks to hurricane Harvey, I've got both GAMs and what I think are Rosie Red FHM (Their tales are red anyway). Both have survived naturally against a swarm of different predators, tho the GAMs far outnumber the the reds.

The GSF tend to spawn in inches of water right against the bank and I watch them religiously. Can't say I've ever seen either species ever get brave enough to venture into a guarded nest. However, once those fry are self motivated to leave home, I have no doubt their survival rate is affected by both GAMs and FHM, but only initially. Gape for both minnows is very limiting as to what they can swallow.

I will say this tho, both are very adept at feeding on pellets. Especially when its hydrated first. They come running as fast as they can when I ring the dinner bell.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 09/09/18 10:52 AM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!