As is my norm, I fed the fish when I got home. Nothing unusual. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary at the time, and did a quick check of the surface temp (88*). After I ate dinner, maybe an hour later, I looked out at the pond and noticed a very dark, almost tannic colored area of water right in the middle of the pond, over the deepest area. Upon closer inspection, the darkness was an area of what looked like water turning over(that brown scum that comes up when a BOW flips. It also had a field of bubbles all through it. All in a matter of an hour. And it covered over half of the pond.

I started mildly freaking out!! "The water's too warm to turn over!" Im thinking. What the crap!!

After I think some more (a sometimes dangerous prospect) I deduce it may be a dieing algae plum (considering we've had several days of heavy cloud cover) and that means DO is most likely being rapidly consumed.....so on came the aerator!

Sure am glad I've got one now. I hate to think what the outcome may have been had the pond been off site and I weren't around to catch it. That's both a blessing and a plague sometimes, tho.

BTW....the fish were ravenous today!!!

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 09/04/18 05:16 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!